Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ballerina begins with a "B"

Ballerina is still loving school.....though not getting ready for school!  She is finally feeling tired at the beginnings and ends of her long school day.  Unfortunately the tiredness at the end of the day is revealed through major meltdowns.  She is so self aware....she tells me she is "cranky" and even admits being tired in between screaming and throwing a tantrum.  We are going to try to slow down her soundtrack after school so that she is calmer at bedtime.  Up until now, after I pick her up at the bus, its like she refuels and runs herself into the ground...she's non-stop talking and moving until she finally drops off into sleep.  Starting today, she's going to get some quiet time (without her sister) with some quiet activity and soothing music.  We'll see if it makes any difference in her bedtime attitude tonight.
This week her class is on the "hunt" for the missing letter "B".  She sat down at the table with a magazine and scissors while I supervised her "finds" for inclusion in her "B" bag.  She was cutting out lots of photos along with words....a few times though I had to stop the scissors and move her along.  I hadn't counted on the headlines "Breast Pain" or the advertisement for "Butt Paste" to be contenders for the letter "B".  She asked me why....I had to explain that talking about breasts in Kindergarten wouldn't really be appropriate and we'd choose a better word...!!!
Ballerina and I recently took a walk on Saturday while Songbird napped - as her daddy also tried to catch some zzzzss.  We stopped in at the TaiKwanDo joint and then a Dance studio - I'm on the hunt for a new activity for Ballerina.  She is currently on hiatus from gymnastics and I thought I'd find something new for the next semester.  I told her I wanted to look at the dance classes.  She was down on the idea, until she determined that kids didn't dance with adults - it would only be kids.  Then when I was asking for some details from the front desk, she slipped away to peek in the window of the studio.  There was a huge group of children - from age 3 up to 16/17 practicing a number for the Columbus Day parade.  She was riveted - and pointed out the littlest girl in the front.  When we left the studio she was VERY interested in dance and said she'd like to learn some "cool moves!"  Now we just have to figure out how to pay for this!  This class goes from Sept through May and though we can enter her into the class late, I think we'd still have to pay for the whole year.  Maybe we'll find a place holder program until first grade.....
Ballerina has a lot coming up - she turns FIVE very soon.  With her birthday will come her very first allowance.  I've started to talk to her about what it means and how we'll be dividing up her allowance.  We also have to figure out what new responsibility and priveledge will come her way. 
As she will be starting to grasp the whole $$ thing, she is also deciding what to do with the donation money we're alloting her to celebrate her birthday.  We explained that we would like her to choose a group of people or cause that could use the money for their organization.  We hope that she is excited to be helping people in this way and are glad that she knows this is a positive way to celebrate her big day.  She is just growing up before our eyes - despite my admonition to her regularly to grow SLOW!
Just a quick note on Songbird.  She is listening and not growing too fast!  Songbird is just a little bit of a thing still and learning so much every day.  Yesterday for the first time she was in an upbeat mood and more noisy at pickup from preschool.  Usually I find a quiet girl with a thumb in her mouth.  Yesterday she was cheery and giving high fives to her teachers.  THAT's my girl!  The teacher notes that they are "still working on sharing and cooperative play" - not too hard to decode....she is NOT sharing and grabbing toys from other children...sigh...she'll get there!
Anyway, I have to wake her from naptime so that she can get some lunch in her stomach before its time to go to preschool.  Then its off to the gym for me......its cliche, going to the gym on the day I weigh in at weight watchers -but I do it every week....just that little extra push!
Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment