Thursday, July 26, 2012

Everyday stuff & nothing

So it's Thursday. At this point in the summer I only have one girlie in a summer program. After JuneBug got on her bus, I drove Husband to work with Ballerina and Songbird in tow. We then enjoyed the "pleasure" of almost TWO hours in Target gathering supplies for the next school year. In fairness, we had to run back & forth for bathroom breaks and browsing the toy aisle for clearance stuff....so it wasn't ALL supply related time. I'm really lucky they were patient & helpful with this shopping trip!

I was glad there was still a bunch of stuff still in stock - because I usually wait too long. When that happens the very specific "red, plastic pocket folder" is unlikely to be found. Many times I've ended up with something in the "wrong" color, or material. Ballerina was taking charge by price checking supplies for me. Songbird was chilling out in the cart....at 6, she can still fit, somewhat, in the seat in the way its intended. However she has her own way to do just about everything, and she was sitting "sidesaddle" with her legs dangling out. She was mostly bored throughout the process, but had to have her say when it came to inspecting backpack/lunchbox fashion. She instantly popped out of the cart to try on some gear. She strutted her stuff up and down the rows, trying "first grade" on for size. I found almost all the supplies on he list - I only had pencil issues (is it possible the third grade team wants 80-120 pencils per child?! When you ask for 10 PACKAGES of pencils, that leads me to believe the teachers feel that they need pencils in the thousands in their classroom.)


In between loading up the cart with all the neccesities, I found myself discussing generic vs brand name with Ballerina. She was pointing out the signs that said "sale", and we inspected the other brands to see if they were truly a good deal. She also pointed out the brands with box tops....she loves finding those for her school. It was a productive outing for money talk.

We returned home via the new bakery in town. Songbird is enamored with their cupcakes and Ballerina with their brownies. The rest of the day was filled with play, dress up, friendship bracelet making, naps, reading, watching Anne of Green Gables, playing some more and learning how to juggle. This is what made me laugh. Ballerina brings me a giant kid how-to fun book that used to be mine as a kid. In it were instructions on how to juggle. I told her I cannot juggle, but I would help her follow the directions. She ran out to find balls, yelling to Songbird "Mom's gonna teach me how to juggle!". Husband just looked at me...."I don't know how to juggle" I protested.....it didn't matter - I was GOING to teach her! In the end if you count a two ball juggle (all we had was a tennis ball and a koosh ball) as juggling, I CAN juggle....and now so can Ballerina. Don't anyone hand me three, for I would surely disappoint.


After dinner we feasted on our cupcakes and, excited about the upcoming Olympics, pulled out our DVD with the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing Olympics. Four years ago we'd just returned from Beijing with Songbird less than 3 months before the Olympics. The girls were fascinated with the ceremony and all the performers. Watching the news package that preceded the ceremony moved me to tears. There was a brief recap of the May 2008 earthquake and the aftermath. It occured to me that I never saw American coverage of this huge disaster. We were in China during that earthquake. I instantly felt what my family and friends must have felt when they heard the news, knowing we were in China, but not knowing how close we were to the epicenter. We were fortunate to have been very distant from the tragedy. Watching the ceremonies brought me back to those early days with Songbird. We were in China during Olympics fever, and then newly home with her as the Olympics unfolded. So much has changed in her life, and ours since then.


Is this a disjointed post? Yes, yes it is! I have my mind on a to-do list. I will be busy tomorrow taking books down, and pictures off walls in my kitchen....getting ready for Husband's big wall sanding project. I am taking my girls to Long Island on Saturday and he will be handyman without interference while we're gone.....should be fun!

Okay - enough of this nothing....good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment