Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Day of School

Today was Ballerina's first day of Kindergarten.  This is not the first time she's stepped inside a classroom - last year she was in Pre-K.  This is the first FULL day of school and she EXPECTS to learn how to read this year - so its a pretty big deal!  Ballerina asked me when she would start putting words together, I asked that she give her teacher a few days before she expected to form words and sentences.  !!!!  I pray that this teacher can set the pace for Miss Ballerina as she is ready to move 'fast forward'.  Songbird missed her sister as soon as we got in the car to drive to the Parents' breakfast.  She asked where she was.  I'm not sure she realizes that when she wakes up from her nap that Ballerina will still be at school.  She was showing signs of enjoying the mommy & daddy time as we left the breakfast and drove Dave back to work.  I'll have a little more quality time with Songbird before its time to drive her to school.  Thankfully Dave is working in town today, so he will come with me to drop off the second of our babies at her new preschool.  I thought tears would wait until they were both in school, but after Ballerina was happily boarded on the bus and we got into the car, the tears started to flow.  My baby, my sweet Ballerina girl is in school full time and she has a whole day away from me.  I'm sad, but incredibly proud of her.  She is facing Kindergarten with enthusiasm that she can barely contain.  She is ready to attack the subject of reading.  She's already recognizing lots of words and I know she will soak everything up like a sponge.  I hope she makes some good friends and I'm eager to hear her "full report" when I pick her up this afternoon.  She has a special way of describing her activities and I'm looking forward to her first observations about Kindergarten.  Now, I have to wake up Songbird so that she has a good lunch before its time for her to spend a few hours away from her mommy.  She did well with the one hour orientation yesterday, but this will be a bit longer and I'm not sure how things will go.  I'd lean toward "just fine", but when I pick her up, I'll find out!  What will I do with myself for two hours?  I'm sure I'll figure something out!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment